What Antivirus should I use for my Apple computer?lilla
Macs have become increasingly popular among users who prefer Apple’s operating system. As a result, there has been a rise in the number of malware and virus attacks targeted specifically at Mac users. While Macs may have a lower risk of malware compared to Windows PCs, they are not totally immune to attacks. Therefore, it is essential to have an antivirus program installed to protect your Mac against viruses, malware, and other online threats. Further in this article you can read about whether Mac has an antivirus, how you can prevent your Mac from getting infected with a virus and the top 3 antivirus for Mac.
Antivirus for Mac
In today’s digital age, computer security is a critical concern for everyone. With the rise of cyber threats and malicious attacks, it’s more important than ever to protect your devices and personal information. This is where antivirus software comes in. Antivirus software is designed to detect and remove malware that can harm your computer or steal your personal information. While many people associate antivirus software with Windows computers, Macs can also benefit from using antivirus programs. In this series of questions and answers, we will explore various aspects of antivirus software for Macs, including built-in and third-party options, their features, and whether or not Macs really need antivirus software.
Not sure what you would be protecting your device from? We have written an article about the most prominent online threats that can do some serious damage to your device and steal data.
Does Mac have an antivirus?
Yes, macOS does have built-in antivirus protection called XProtect, which is a part of Apple’s Gatekeeper technology. XProtect scans files and downloads for known malware and blocks them before they can harm your system. It runs in the background and updates itself automatically through Apple’s software updates system. In addition to XProtect, macOS also has a feature called MRT (Malware Removal Tool), which automatically scans and removes known malware that XProtect may have missed. MRT runs silently in the background and is updated periodically through Apple’s software update system.
MacOS also has another built-in feature called Gatekeeper, which helps protect your Mac from malware by allowing you to control which apps can be installed on your Mac. Gatekeeper checks the apps you download from the internet and verifies whether they’re from a trusted developer. If the app is not trusted, Gatekeeper may block it from running or require you to explicitly confirm that you want to open it. With all these integrated features you might be wondering if you need an antivirus. The next paragraph answers this question for you.
Does Mac need an antivirus?
While XProtect and MRT provide a basic level of protection against known malware, they may not be enough to protect against all threats. Therefore, it is recommended to use a third-party antivirus software for additional protection, especially if you engage in high-risk online activities such as downloading files from untrusted sources or visiting suspicious websites. A good antivirus software for Mac should be lightweight, fast, and regularly updated to keep up with the latest threats. It should also offer real-time protection, scanning of email attachments and downloads, and must provide additional features such as a firewall, parental controls, and anti-phishing protection. By using antivirus software for Mac, users can ensure the safety and security of their devices, personal information, and sensitive data, protecting themselves against potential cyberattacks and other online threats.
Which Antivirus does Apple recommend?
Apple does not explicitly recommend any antivirus program. The company, however, also does not advise against using one. Apple claims that its built-in security tools should be sufficient to secure your device from online threats. Nevertheless, these built-in features might not be as reliable and up-to-date as third-party antivirus software.
What can I do to prevent my Mac from getting infected with a virus?
You can take a few steps that will prevent your Mac from becoming infected with a virus. First, make sure your Mac is updated with the most recent software. On a regular basis, Apple releases security upgrades that can assist in preventing potential virus threats.
Choosing and installing a suitable Mac antivirus program is always recommended. There are several solutions accessible, so it’s necessary to pick the one that will offer you the best protection. Some antivirus programs are available even for free, however these offer significantly less features and protection than the ones that require a subscription.
You should make sure to maintain good computer care in addition to installing antivirus software. This entails avoiding downloading files from suspicious websites, not clicking on links in emails from unknown senders, and being cautious about what you allow to be installed on your device.
You can help prevent your Mac from becoming infected with a virus by adhering to these easy instructions. Yet even if you follow all the necessary steps, there’s no guarantee that your device won’t ever become infected. Hence, it’s wise to always have a backup strategy at hand in case your computer does get infected.
Top 3 Antivirus for Mac
1. Bitdefender Total Security
Bitdefender is a comprehensive cybersecurity solution that provides advanced protection against all types of malware and other online threats. Bitdefender Total Security is suitable for both Windows and Mac users, and it has many features to ensure the highest level of protection without slowing down your Mac. These are some of the features that Bitdefender has to offer:
– Real-time protection against all Mac malware: Bitdefender for Mac protects your computer from various malware and viruses that can harm your device
– Complete data protection: This feature provides multi-layered ransomware protection to keep your documents, pictures, and videos safe from malicious encryption.
– Time Machine Protection: Bitdefender adds an extra layer of protection to Time Machine backups, ensuring that your files are safe and can be restored if needed.
– Anti-phishing Protection: Bitdefender for Mac blocks phishing attempts, preventing attackers from stealing your personal information.
– Anti-Tracker: This feature blocks web trackers that collect your browsing data, ensuring your online privacy
– VPN: Bitdefender for Mac also includes a VPN service that encrypts your internet connection and keeps your online activity private.
– Autopilot: This feature makes it easy to manage your security settings by automating the scanning and protection processes.
Moreover, Bitdefender Total Security is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, making it a risk-free investment for Mac users who want to keep their devices safe and secure. If you are looking for a Bitdefender antivirus, check the deals that Lizenso can offer you.
2. Intego for Mac
Intego is a trusted name when it comes to internet security for Mac users. With a comprehensive range of features, Intego offers complete protection against all kinds of malware, ransomware, and other online threats. Its advanced technology ensures that your Mac is always secure, and your privacy is protected. Intego’s user-friendly interface and simple setup process make it easy for even the most non-technical users to stay safe online. Here are some features of Intego that can benefits you:
– VirusBarrier: A real-time malware detection and removal tool that scans your Mac for any threats
– NetBarrier: A two-way firewall that protects your mac from unauthorised access while online.
– ContentBarrier: A parental control tool that enables you to restrict access to inappropriate content for your children.
– Identity Protector: A tool that protects your personal information, including passwords, credit card details, and other sensitive data.
– Mac Washing Machine: This feature helps to clean up and optimise your Mac’s performance by removing junk files and unnecessary data.
– Anti-Spam: This helps you to block unwanted emails and span.
– Personal Backup: A backup tool that helps you create a backup of your important files and data.
– Intego Virus Monitoring Center: A service that monitors global virus activity and provides updates and alerts about emerging threats.
In conclusion, Intego Mac Internet Security is a powerful and reliable antivirus software that offers a comprehensive range of features to keep your Mac safe and secure from all types of cyber threats. Unfortunately, Lizenso doesn’t offer Intego for Mac yet, however, we will keep you updated when we add Intego to our product range.
3. Norton 360 Deluxe
Features of Norton360 Deluxe:
Norton 360 Deluxe is an all-in-one security solution that offers comprehensive protection for your devices and personal information. It is designed to protect your privacy and security across multiple platforms, including Macs, PCs, smartphones, and tablets. With advanced security features such as real-time threat protection, VPN, password manager, parental controls and backup, Norton 360 Deluxe provides complete peace of mind for your digital life. With a user-friendly interface and easy setup, you can protect your entire household without sacrificing performance or convenience. Here are some of the features that Norton 360 Deluxe has to offer:
– Real-time protection against malware, viruses, spyware, ransomware, and other online threats.
– Secure VPN: to encrypt your internet connection and protect your privacy.
– Password Manager: to securely store and manage your passwords and login information
– Parental Controls: helps you monitor your kids’ online activities and set limits on their screen time.
– Safe Cam: alerts you and blocks unauthorised access to your webcam.
– Dark Web Monitoring: alerts you if your personal information is found on the dark web.
– Anti-Phishing: blocks fraudulent websites and emails that may try to steal your personal information.
Note that Norton 360 Deluxe may have additional features that are not listed here, and some features may vary depending on the platform or device you’re using it on. If you are looking for Norton 360 Deluxe, click here to check our offer at Lizenso.
Macs are equipped with two different built-in antivirus tools, XProtect and MRT, however these offer rather basic protection and only against viruses and malware that Apple identifies. Since they don’t identify as many types of potential malware as third-party antivirus software, the in-built tools are providing safety for a small segment of the online threats. Therefore, we advise setting up an antivirus software that is up-to-date with current threats and reliable. If you decide to stick to the in-built programs then make sure to always install the latest versions of those.
Read more about our top 8 antivirus software of 2023.