Windows Server 2019 Essentials vs. Standard vs. Datacenter: The differencesmarvin
Windows Server 2019 has several variants. If you are not that familiar with this, it is logical that you are curious about the differences, and more importantly: which one you need.
Windows Server 2019 Essentials: What is it?
Windows Server 2019 Essentials is a server that is especially suitable for smaller companies up to 20 or 30 employees. It has the following features:
- It is the only Windows Server license with access to up to 25 users and/or 50 devices;
- Essentials is cheaper than the Standard version;
- Makes it possible to run all basic applications and functionalities that you are used to;
- When purchasing Windows Server 2019 Essentials, you do not also need to purchase CALs. This must be done with the Standard and Data Center versions;
- However, it is not possible to expand to more than the maximum 25 users (CALs / Client Access Licenses);
- Windows Server 2019 Essential will be the last Essential version in the product family
Windows Server 2019 Essentials: Why You Shouldn’t Choose It
Does not work with Office volume licenses;
- You cannot work remotely with this;
- Has a maximum of 25 users;
- Not compatible with products such as SQL Server, SharePoint Server, and Exchange Server.
Windows Server 2019 Standard: the possibilities
Windows Server 2019 Standard has been specially developed for smaller to medium-sized companies. The Standard version makes it possible to work with more than 25 users, for this you need CALs. You can work with 2 VMs with this package. In addition, it can be used when you need more than 1 server to keep server roles apart.
Windows Server 2019 Data Center: What Is It Used For?
Windows Sever 2019 Datacenter is a lot more advanced than the Standard version. This allows you to place multiple Virtual Machines (VMs) on 1 physical host. As with the Standard version, you need CALs, so that an infinite number of Virtual Machines can be run. The Datacenter saves a lot in price with the Standard version, because of this, Datacenter is often only chosen when many VMs are needed.
Which Windows Server 2019 license do I need?
That depends on your wishes. Broadly speaking, you can choose as follows:
- Windows Server 2019 Essentials: When you don’t need VMs and only need a few users
- Windows Server 2019 Standard: if you want to use Windows Server with at least 20 people, or if you need VMs
- Windows Server 2019 Datacenter: When you need more than 2 VMs
To read more about the latest version of Windows Server 2022, click here.
Buy Pre-owned Windows Server 2019 licenses
If you are looking for affordable Windows Server 2019 licenses such as Standard or Dataceneter, you have come to the right place with Lizenso. Lizenso specializes in the purchase and sale of pre-owned Microsoft licenses. You can save up to 70% on costs with these second-hand licenses. Buy your license(s) directly via the webshop.